Wednesday, July 30, 2014

In Limbo




We are halfway through our fourth week here in Nicaragua and it has been two days since we have returned to Esteli from our two week stay in Limay. Although I am accompanied by the family I have formed during these four weeks I can't help but feel sad, missing the family that I just started to develop.

Even though I gained many amenities during my return to Esteli, I feel as though the energy has changed. I can no longer go to the bathroom knowing someone or something will pass through the shower curtain, that is the door, at any minute. I wonder why I have as much privacy as I do and question whether I prefer it to the chaos of an outdoor bathroom with roaming chickens and dogs, along with a host-mother busting her way in with toilet paper she realizes you might need. I have grown so accustomed to sharing such simple means of living it feels almost alien to have a minute alone in silence.

My homes in the United States are full of times where solitude is within reach at any point of any given day, but, as nice as it is to have a moment to focus, I can't imagine what it will be like to have so much space to myself again. Life is simple here and I wonder what the integration process will be like once I do return home where simplicity as a way of life isn't as revered. 

No comments: