Sunday, July 13, 2014

Seeing Old Friends


    I was very happy when I found out that I could use AOS as credit in my current graduate program at University of Baltimore. I am still in shock and awe that I was able to pull it off. On the first day of the trip I was able to meet the cooperative I facilitated the start up of 8 years ago with a fellow MICA Alum and a NGO called Bridges to Community. It was amazing to see the women, talk about their progress and what has been going on in our lives. Our conversation started out slow, but was fruitful in the end when Ivett, a co-op member gave me some great advice.

(AMA Co-op and AOS Group)
 
She thanked me for returning and let me know that it is important to continue and retain your relationships when you collaborate with communities.  I appreciated her insight and honestly. It is now significantly easier that social networks such as Facebook are readily available almost everywhere in the world. Seeing the women reminded me of how I got started on my current career path of Non-Profit Management, I will forever be indebted to the cooperative as they helped me realize the kind of life I want to lead and the type of work I want to pursue. This time around, staying in contact with people I work with will be significantly easier with increased access to technology in Nicaragua, I am grateful for that. I can’t wait for what the rest of the trip has in store for me and the rest of the group.

(Myself and Ivett Maria Mendoza with her grandson)

No comments: