Monday, August 4, 2014

In closing: here and yet not here

Although the trip itself is not entirely over, we have entered a transitional period that feels surreal to me. I'm not at ease in spite of the fact that we're in a very beautiful and serene place, and it's hard to imagine what it will be like to be back in the United States in a matter of days. Fortunately today has been full of powerful opportunities to reflect and step outside myself to admire my surroundings. In a form of poetic justice,  this morning began with a profound and surreal experience on the rooftop of the basilica in Leon. The roof is being restored, and is so pristinely white that visitors are not allowed to wear shoes. As a result, the strong sunlight is reflected in a way that is truly blinding. At some moments it was altogether too much and I walked very slowly along the railing with my eyes closed. We commented at times that it seemed like we were in another country altogether, but I would venture that we were in another realm.






After we regained our sight, we boarded the bus to head to the pacific coast for two days of relaxation and reflection. We got to spend all afternoon in and out of the waves, and played cards and climbed on the rocks at sunset to witness this beautiful scene:


It's a truly amazing place to be, I just can't say that I'm 100% here. With all of the wonderful connections we've made on this trip, my heart feels like it's in many different places, pulled in many different directions at once; here and yet not here. 

No comments: