Saturday, August 2, 2014

San Juan de Limay... tienes mi corazón

Now that we've made it back to Esteli and our wonderful show is over, I finally have a moment to reflect on my time in San Juan de Limay. I can't help but think about all the new things that I have experienced in two short weeks.

I have...
- Ridden on the back of a motorcycle at 12 am
- Milked a cow
- Struggled to speak the language of the people around me
- Lived at a bar with a wonderful caring host mom
- Been in a complete black out, where I see more stars then I could count
- Been sung to in Spanish
- Danced my heart out with almost complete strangers
- Helped paint a mural
- Helped make a video with the children of Limay
- Eaten so much rice and beans, I'm turning into some
- Swam in a river where ancient petroglyphs are drawn on the rocks
- Carved a stone into a beautiful sculpture
- Made lifelong friends

I didn't expect to make such amazing memories, but I'm so grateful I have. Now that our trip is coming to an end, I have a bittersweet feeling. I know that I have two families now: my own family, and my new Nicaraguan family. It feels so wonderful to be welcomed into a community. The people of Limay opened their doors and their hearts to all of us, and nothing can compare to that feeling. I can't wait to learn more Spanish and return to San Juan de Limay to have all of the conversations that I didn't have the opportunity to have this time around. Thank you San Juan de Limay.

No comments: