Friday, July 22, 2011

Enchiladas Nicas

So upon arriving in Nicaragua, I regained my recently lost appitite.(I apologize ahead of time for spelling errors) I got to Esteli Saturday morning and met up with Maria. I had a bit of breakfast in Managua with Wilfredo, then again with Maria after arriving in Esteli.We then proceded, over the course of the day, to eat candy apples, nacatamales, yogurt, ice-cream, enchiladas, yucca chips and a ton of other really great stuff.
We were walking around the park and I was asking Maria what this one food was, its served on what appears to be a tortilla, but a fried tortilla, its got cabbage and tomatoes and cream, and after alot of attempted divination we gave up and walked around to find it. The first lady we found who had it, we had passed hours earlier and it apperared that the food I desired (covered in cheese and all) had been sitting out in the open, to flies, passerbys hands and who knows what else, for a few hours. I was still going to get it, but Maria convinced me not to. We continuted to walk, and I had given up all hope on getting my desired food, which we had figured out were inface enchiladas. Then at the North East corner of the park we came across a woman who was making them to order! WONDERFUL! I´ll have one. She finished making the two she was working on for a couple of girls infront of me, then proceded to lick and slobber on everyone of her fingers and ask me how many I wanted. Without wiping her hands at all, she proceded to spread pureed beans ontop of a hard and fried tortilla, toped with repocheta (a cabbage mixture) tomatoes and a couple of freshly grated cheeses. I pretended not to see her slobber on her hands and enjoyed every last bit of my enchillada, that I topped with a bit of hot sauce. It was delicious.
We also had purchased a candy apple earlier and stood underneath an over hang near by to block ourselves from the rain and enjoy our treat. These came with a couple of choclate M&M like candies on it. While we were standing there, the boy now maning the stand sneezed without covering his mouth or nose.
So is life. Maria actually has gotten very sick recently from something she ate down here. She thinks it was from some Fish tacos she had while in Leon. Everyone in our group gets sick every year. I think it is unavoidable. The way everything is done down here is quite different. We happened to be sharing our stories with our friend Julio last night over dinner (His wife made delicious pasta with oregano, cream and hard grated cheese, Julio put ketchup on his) and he was telling us that he never eats out for fear of falling ill.
I would like to keep from getting sick, but I cannot keep away from all of the greasy delicious street food.
More later on how long things have been and should not have been sitting out! As well as a delicious italian meal I made for Marias Aunt and 2 cousins.

No comments: