Wednesday, August 4, 2010

San Juan de Limay - first thoughts

San Juan de Limay is breathtaking. The town sits in a valley surrounded by mountains. Cars and busses are almost obsolete here; horses and bicycles are the main mode of transportation. I feel like I'm in the wild, wild west - men ride around on horses, and it's not unusual for cows to be herded through the streets. There are tons of beautiful chickens and roosters walking around, and there are tons of cute little cats and dogs!

We live with host families right now, which is a very humbling experience. My family is kind, gracious, and quite giving. I feel lucky to be in their home, and interacting with them in a day to day basis. We watch telenovellas together and draw in the evenings...one of my necessary tactics, since my Spanish needs much polishing.

We;ve had crazy adventures, walking though pastures and ducking under barbed wire fences in search of the local river, and milking cows at 6:00 in the morning. Much more to come from my fellow travellers, I'm sure!

No comments: