Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Scorpions, Tarantulas, GIANT Beetles, Oh My!!

Limay is a beautiful, beautiful place, but one of it's downfalls (in my book) is the crazy assortment of bugs that live here. The scarab to the left is one example - we found it crawling on the doorway of Dona Nilia's home, where we eat breakfast and lunch.

This one is a male (you can tell by the big horn on it's head). It was 5"-6" long, and quite slow-moving. A couple of us were brave enough to 'pet' it - the brown part on it's back is velvety soft - surprising for such an 'ugly' bug. It seemed almost like a dinosaur, and when it walked, you could hear it's different body parts rubbing against each other.

While this is a pretty awesome animal to encounter, it's slightly frightening when one considers that this same animal, or others (see title for other prime candidates) could be waiting in the dark latrine at 11:00 pm when you just really need to run in and use the bathroom! So far, encounters with the undesireable insects have been limited to ant attacks (me) and a scorpion sighting (Marci). I personally would LOVE to see a scorpion, though I always clap out my shoes before I put them on so I don't get too close...

2 comments:

e. said...

Great photo!

AMV said...

that thing was as big as my hand!