Friday, July 25, 2014

The Sandinista presence

I always feel like a traitor to my mom whenever I cross paths with anything Sandinista or to do with Daniel Ortega. I do, however, enjoy seeking out my own opinions and truths instead of having biased opinions set upon me by my family. Nevertheless, I still get uncomfortable whenever I see a Sandinista flag or am among Sandinista supporters.
I really like my host family and haven't had any problems with them at all. But on the 19th, we were watching the celebration at La Plaza de la Revolución on tv, and one of my host sisters asked me what Nicaraguan politics my parents were affiliated with. My parents have always dissuaded me from saying anything about that and especially warned me from speaking out against Sandinistas. But I felt comfortable enough with my host family to be completely honest with them. One of the things I said was how much my mom resented and hated the FSLN and Ortega.
Right after my response they stayed somewhat quiet, so I asked them the same question. Without hesitation, they proudly announced they were "Sandinista, Sandinista!!" Instantly, I felt like a helpless Timon and Pumba in the lion's den.
That feeling didn't dwell too long and we've put politics talks past us, but now I am more cautious about sharing those types of opinions.

I also couldn't help but feel annoyed and a little angered by the constant presence of the FSLN and the media in the funerals of the deceased women. I don't know if they were supporters or not, regardless it bothered me to hear so much Sandinista talk during the announcements at their burials, seeing the FSLN banners on the bouquets on the coffins, and the media interrupting the sanctity of their funeral mass and making it into a spectacle.
This probably stems from a similar annoyance I have always felt at the pictures of my grandfather's funeral procession back in the 70s/80s. True, he was a Sandinista general but, in my opinion, families should be allowed their time to say a final goodbye to their loved ones in peace, without having to hear political propaganda or respond to reporters.


(here my grandfather's casket is in the guarded truck, my dad is on the left hand edge of the picture, with the small afro)


I used the previous two photos of my grandfather's funeral to create the drawing below


No comments: