Monday, July 21, 2014

I milked a cow!


5:30 am wake up call to be ready by 6, rare occasion for me! But when I was invited to go milk a cow, I couldn't pass up on the offer. Rachel, Beth and I joined two of the local Limay boys for an early morning hike to the outskirts of town.

After about a half hour and a dried up river, we could finally see the field and a few cows drinking water. We were completely surrounded by mountains, and the view was unreal! After some antics, the boys finally roped up a few cows so we could test our milking skills. I can easily say that they make it look so easy. Trying to squeeze milk from a giant cow's utter is unbelievably hard! After a few tries and some animated gestures from my helper, because words weren't an option, I finally got milk to squirt into the empty bucket! Once in a lifetime opportunity checked off my list!


It didn't take long for me to get tired from the hard labor, so I stepped aside and let the professional fill the bucket up to the top. While the boys finished getting all of the milk they needed, we watched in awe at the beauty of the whole setting. It wasn't even 7 am yet and I was blown away. Before we took the trip back to get the actual day started, we found out that some of the calfs that we're roaming around we're only a few days old and that one more cow was expecting to give birth within the week. The experience was as breath taking as the view.

No comments: