Saturday, July 28, 2012

Marmolina in Limay

Marmolina is great. When we went the first day I was a little intimidated when we were handed a rock and told to begin. Luckily we got a lot of help, and after I finished my first piece, I was hooked. I'm facinated by the way that rocks become pieces of art, and that if you set yourself up, almost anything is possible. My favorite part is the first stage, where you determine the form, and you get to hack at the rock with a machete. I doubt I'll ever get to do that again and have it turn into something beautiful. The detail work is more frustrating because I don't know how to weild the tools to get the right result, but I'm learning. Also, Oscar and all of the other people who work in the shop are a huge help. I've finished three marmolina pieces, and have started my fourth, I would love to make more, but I don't know how I would get them all back to the U.S. in one piece.

No comments: