Saturday, July 28, 2012

Teaching in Spanish in Limay

I have plenty of teaching experience, but I have never taught in Spanish before!  Each of us are giving hour long workshops to the students in Limay.  We usually have a group ranging in age from 8 to roughly 17.  A few days ago, I taught my lesson which was on wax resist landscape paintings about sacred spaces.  I had a prepared statement about the conceptual part of my project but I was able to introduce myself in Spanish and work through a lot of my lesson with mimimal help from a translator.  To clarify, I had a lot less assistance speaking than I ever thought would be possible before coming to Nicaragua.  I love practicing my Spanish and the kids were very patient with me while I read my written description.  It felt really good to make the effort to speak their language rather than surrendering to speaking English and counting on Maria and Fabienne to translate everything.  I´m very happy with the outcome of my lesson, but mostly because I believe that both teachers and students should be learners in the classroom.  I think we accomplished that through our lesson with great success and it was very fulfilling.

No comments: