Friday, July 27, 2012

The Languages of the Still Image

I would have say that the one tool that has help me breach the language and culture barriers the best during my time here in Nicaragua has been my camera. Where ever I bring my camera there are always  people that are willing to be photographed. When I walk down the street to my host family's house during the day children come running from all directions and crowd around me to have their picture taken, and when I show them the image on the back of the camera they laugh as though I am performing magic every time the shutter clicks. I swear they never tire of having their photographs taken. I enjoy taking their pictures so much. I love my host family and although it is hard to communicate through language we seem to connect instantly every time I take out my camera. Sometimes I wonder if the children in the neighborhood actually think my name is "El gringo! La foto?!" This seems to me to just be more proof that photographs really do speak in every language.


No comments: