Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Overcoming Language Barriers




Before I came to Nicaragua and the first few days I was here I had no idea how I was going to learn any spanish or come to understand anything. I thought it was going to be so difficult and impossible. After a few days of just being here and being immersed into the language, I realized I knew a lot more words than I thought I did. Then, after a few days of spanish classes I realized learning this language was a lot easier than I had thought and that once I listened to people’s conversations I could easily pick out certain words and understand a bit of what people were telling me or talking about. Having Maria translating at Vimau has also helped a lot as well. Even though I know very little spanish still, and cant form that big of sentences, I know a lot more and can understand a little bit which, I feel is a big accomplishment for me considering I had thought I wouldn’t understand anything at all.


No comments: